La Leche League Mission
Greenbush La Leche League (LLL) helps parents, families, and communities to breastfeed, chestfeed, and human milk feed their babies through parent-to-parent support. Greenbush LLL encourages, informs, educates, supports, and promotes the use of human milk and the intimate relationship and development that comes from nursing a child for as long as mutually desired.
Greenbush La Leche League offers families support and information about breastfeeding. Contact a volunteer Leader for free telephone, text, messenger, or e-mail help, or join us for one of our regular meetings to get to know other breastfeeding mothers and mothers-to-be. We’re here to help one another!
Call or text a Local Leader for help TODAY!
La Leche League Philosophy
The basic philosophy of La Leche League is summarized in the following 10 statements:
- Mothering through breastfeeding is the most natural and effective way of understanding and satisfying the needs of the baby.
- Human milk is the natural food for babies, uniquely meeting their changing needs.
- Alert and active participation by the mother in childbirth is a help in getting breastfeeding off to a good start.
- Mother and baby need to be together early and often to establish a satisfying breastfeeding relationship and reliable milk production.
- Breastfeeding is enhanced by the loving support of the baby’s father, a co-parent, a partner, and/or close family members who value the breastfeeding relationship.
- In the early years, the baby has an intense need to be with his mother which is as basic as his need for food.
- For the healthy, full-term baby, human milk is the only food necessary until the baby shows signs of readiness for complementary foods, about the middle of the first year after birth.
- Good nutrition means eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods in as close to their natural state as possible.
- Ideally the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the child outgrows the need.
- From infancy on, children need loving guidance which reflects acceptance of their capabilities and sensitivity to their feelings.
Due to the Health Department recommendations on slowing the spread of Coronavirus, all in person meetings temporarily suspended. Please see our Facebook events page for our online meetings!
Greenbush La Leche League offers a variety of monthly meetings including daytime, evening and weekend meetings. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, all meetings are held online. Check back here for the updates on when we will return to in-person meetings.
In-person meetings are suspended until further notice, but online meetings are following the same schedule as below. Please join us at those meeting times on Zoom at https://us02web.zoom.us/j/5847063298 (Send us a private message or email firstname.lastname@example.org for Zoom password, dial-in information and other details)
The current meeting schedule is as follows:
- The second Tuesday of the month from 10 – 11:30 am
- The third Thursday of the month from 6:30 – 8 pm
- The last Saturday of odd months from 10 – 11:30 am
All La Leche League meetings follow a ‘come when you can, leave when you must’ policy.
All monthly meetings are Series Meetings where topics cover a wide range from breastfeeding questions and challenges to nutrition and weaning and everything in between.
Greenbush La Leche League encourages a discussion format so everyone can freely add information or ask questions; all lactating and expecting parents and their children are always welcome.
Cancellations: Any time there is a weather related school closing or a delay in any of the Albany City, Troy City, Averill Park or East Greenbush school districts, meetings will always be cancelled. Online meetings are never cancelled due to weather. The Facebook page will always have the latest information on cancellations.
La Leche League Publications
Other La Leche League Sites of Interest
Thank you for considering membership with Greenbush La Leche League! Meetings, information, and support are offered to all mothers free of charge and membership is not required. La Leche League is a non-profit organization and the Leaders are all volunteers. However, membership funds and donations are applied toward operating expenses including rental space, chapter dues, website costs, maintaining the Group library, resource materials, and room setup. We do not receive funding from LLLI to cover these costs, so we thrive on your support!
If you’ve attended a meeting and feel that Greenbush La Leche League has been helpful to you, please consider a membership or donation. If you know someone in your life that you feel would benefit from the unconditional support LLL offers, please consider LLL Membership as a gift! Payment options for memberships and donations are available. Membership is fully tax deductible.
Meetings, information, and support are offered to all mothers free of charge and membership is not required.
Interested in Joining?
La Leche League Membership
Interested in Donating?
Make a donation to Greenbush La Leche League!
Copyright Greenbush La Leche League, All rights reserved